Reply to post: Re: Projection much?

Dear humans, We thought it was time we looked through YOUR source code. We found a mystery ancestor. Signed, the computers

Loyal Commenter Silver badge

Re: Projection much?

Isn't this supposed to mean that after four generations, there's no genetic code from the fourth grandparent left?

No.

If you lose 25% of parental DNA over 1 generation, that leaves 75%. You have 2 parents, so halve that to 37.5%

Over 5 generations (4th grandparent)

37.5% x 37.5% x 37.5% x 37.5% x 37.5% = 0.75%

That might seem like a low number, but consider that you have 32 4th-grandparents.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

  • Enter your comment

  • Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Biting the hand that feeds IT © 1998–2019