Re: Well that was an invisible problem
And back then, with HUBs you had the dreaded 30% utilisation. The moment you hit that limit, the number of packet collissions skyrocketed, and 100% was inevitable.
We were only saved because we used UB Networks AccessOne kit back then, and there was a crude MAC address filter on the backplane.
When we got our first Switch(slightly cheaper), we gave the servers a port each, then we pulled the controller boards out of the AccessOne kit, disabling the backplane and turning each card into separate Hubs, then patched one port on each to the remaining ports on the Switch.
One Switch, 150 happy users...