Reply to post: Re: Same trap as Apple

Sorry, Samsung. Seems nobody is immune to peak smartphone

Anonymous Coward
Anonymous Coward

Re: Same trap as Apple

@Dave 126

Each to their own, but you're having to mollycoddle your phone, and if you keep it for a few more years it'll be worth zip secondhand. I used to do that. But some years back Sammy's relentless flagship price rises (even a year after launch) caused me to give up the battle of trying to buy and keep premium phones for years, and I moved to a Chinese brand, and haven't looked back.

Because Chinese phones generally tend to have larger batteries and more aggressive power management they don't need charging anything like as often as the Sammy and Apple devices, so battery longevity should be better, but even so I sell second hand after fourteen months and have a new one. The buyer gets a decent phone in great condition with a good few years life expectancy, I get a decent price, and I'm almost always running a current technology phone under retailer warranty. If I lose or break it then my losses are more limited than if I'm running a premium brand phone.

Give it a try when you do decide to trade out of your existing phone - I was very impressed by the value and build quality coming out from the better Chinese makers. Xiaomi's my current brand of choice, but as they've just established a European official presence they might be poor value soon - but if they make that mistake there's plenty of other competent makers to take their place. Curiously enough I've found UK based grey importers selling on Ebay to be more trustworthy than Amazon itself for these types of purchase.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon