Reply to post: Re: Mexican Wall of Shame

Dark matter's such a pushover: Baby stars can shove weird stuff around dwarf galaxies

Anonymous Coward
Anonymous Coward

Re: Mexican Wall of Shame

I am unsure whether this is supposed to be a spoof of the article (and thus downvotable) or of the first post and thus upvotable). As T S Eliot remarked, you can't write a good parody unless you are a better writer than the person you are parodying. (Makes sense when you think about it.)

The problem here is that over the New Year (and with a bad cold) I discovered the Quora website, where people ask questions about physics and people answer them with "I'm totally unqualified to write about physics but this is my explanation."

This is an extract from one of them:

"The first major realization is that Energy and Force are actually the same thing. Force is really nothing more than an Energy Field. It is now understood that the Energy expresses itself as a field whether or not another particle is interacting with that field. In other words, Space is bent whether or not a particle is passing through it."

The same guy is of the view that mass doesn't exist, which is great news for him if he's standing right under an Acme safe falling from the tenth floor.

tl;dr: No matter how good a parody you intend there are people out there who will hold similar views to the ones you just expressed, and will not be backward in coming forward with them.

I'm onboard with a Manhattan Project that will create an AI to do Dunning-Kurger filtering of the Internet.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon