Reply to post: Re: Lunch from both ends?

An upset tummy and a sphincter-loosening blackout: Lunar spaceflight is all glamour

W.S.Gosset

Re: Lunch from both ends?

> I've heard a lot of things attributed to ginger, but as a motion sickness remedy? Naw.

Well known for donkey's years. Medical research proving it as or more effective than scopalamine has been published for at least 30 years that I've personally seen.

> I was in the Navy on a sub for ~4 years, and my first underway was in state 5 seas (for sea trials after shipyard, meaning we were on the surface for quite some time) taking 30 degree rolls for hours on end [...]

> /me points out that submarines have round hulls, and as such, roll pretty violently when on or near the surface, which [fortunately] is NOT 'most of the time'.

Spare a thought for the poor b*stards in the WWII British corvettes. They routinely rolled 40 degrees. To be clear, a sweep of 80 degrees. And, stuck on the surface full-time (unless they got torpedoed), they endured it for days at a time, sometimes for the entire 2week+ convoy duty. The Atlantic can be savage: occasionally the armoured bridge etc would be dented by waves. Wait for the next convoy to assemble, rinse, and repeat. Start 1939, wait till war ends.

They didn't even have belts on their bunks... Lots of broken bones etc.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon