Reply to post:

2018 ain't done yet... Amazon sent Alexa recordings of man and girlfriend to stranger

Hans 1
Windows

Alexa is bad enough, but people bought the device and knew the data was being sent to central servers, somewhere, but when you think about Windows 10, everywhere, and how hard it is to disable cortana, you need gpedit.msc and regedit.exe, two programs the average Windows user does not know how to use. How is that GDPR-compliant ? And why does Microsoft store data of people for what appears to be indefinitely ? I recently had the joy of inspecting some metadata of data collected by MS (you only ever get to see the metadata) on a relative and was shocked.

The person in question had a microsoft account, needed it to use the Windows store to download I dunno what, once, some years ago, so I looked up the data with him and 5 seconds later, was asked to completely disable Cortana, web search, and slurping ... imagine the millions that are being milked for data without knowing .... MS is bankrupt ... all we need to do is wake the punters up!

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon