Reply to post: Oh No It Isn't...

GDPR: Four letters that put fear into firms' hearts in 2018

Commswonk

Oh No It Isn't...

The already tired adage "if you're not paying, you're the product" has been so over-used this year it must be fit for retirement.

It may seem to get used a lot (perhaps to the point of tedium) by those who understand the implications of it, but there are far, far, too many people (mainly, I suspect, "the young") who need the message ramming home time and time again because they either don't know or don't care about their privacy enough to care.

There was a hint yesterday (yes, Christmas Day) that a 15 year old was about to take a picture of a family gathering and upload it to Snapchat or the like so I stated quite firmly that I did not give my permission for my image to be uploaded anywhere. Yes there were one or two perhaps cross faces, and no photograph was taken AFAIK; Christmas Day or not I was not going change my opinion about what I firmly do not want to happen with my likeness.

The "if you're not paying..." mantra can wait for another day, although I suspect it will be wasted until said 15 year old is about 50, by which time it will be too late anyway. With parents who cannot see any downside to social media in between, what chance do grandparents' have?

Bugger all, I fear...

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon