Reply to post: Confused

London's Gatwick airport suspends all flights after 'multiple' reports of drones

Anonymous Coward
Anonymous Coward

Confused

This whole story makes no sense.

Why are the police apparently focusing on searching for the operator? What makes them think they are even in the UK? If they’re controlling it by radio, surely there is someone the police / military can find to triangulate and / or jam this? If not, this seems like a non starter.

As far as I can see, following the drones to where they are landing between flights is the obvious first step. The police have at least one helicopter and, given the number of reports, these drones are apparently not trying to be stealthy.

Secondly, given this has presumably already cost non insignificant amounts of money (and I worry about copycats, given the apparent buffoonery of the response so far) could someone not stump up for one of the many anti drone weapons available? To name a few, I believe Raytheon has a dune buggy with a laser and if we want to keep things in country, the skywall system is developed just down the road.

Once you’ve put a stop to the drones, maybe then try and figure out who’s responsible?

As for whether it’s a terrorist act... the only thing terrifying about this is our complete inability to do anything about it. If the UK armed forces honestly can’t sort out a couple of drones flying over an airfield... well, I’m lost for words.

Or am I missing something?

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Biting the hand that feeds IT © 1998–2019