Reply to post: @Amplex

Poor people should get slower internet speeds, American ISPs tell FCC

Donn Bly

@Amplex

You might be confusing the quote (the part in italics) with my post, because I don't make such assumptions.

In addition, I don't have to imagine investing my own money. I used to own a wireless ISP back in the time-frame with WISPA was starting, and some of my friends/friendly local competitors were even among their officers. I am quite aware of the market and its challenges. Some 12-15 years ago when the municipality where I live looked at doing their own fiber rollout I saw the writing on the wall and sold off the ISP, even though we were the ones supplying the municipality with their bandwidth, and signed up my home to be on the waiting list for the municipal network. It took a few years before it got connected (and I suffered with DSL in the meantime) but it was worth the wait.

I wasn't happy at the time with public money being used to compete with private enterprise, but today I would be among the first to admit that in my local situation it was the right thing to do -- even though I was one of the private enterprises with which they were competing.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon