Reply to post: Stanger in a strange land..

Doom: The FPS that wowed players, gummed up servers, and enraged admins

Jamie Jones Silver badge

Stanger in a strange land..

My first experience of doom was in an empty computer lab in Bar-Ilan University, Tel-Aviv.

2 of the system admins there took me to this room, unplugged and terminated the ethernet from the rest of the department lan, and proceeded to blast the hell out of me so much, I never stood a chance.

The only "weird" thing of this story is I'm British, not Jewish, and was never a student in Israel.. I was actually staying with a girl I met on irc, and we snuck into the uni to get online(!) - not sure how she talked us through security.. it was all Hebrew to me! But I hung around the computer centre for a few hours whilst she went shopping.

When I was back home, I used to do the same thing at Swansea university.. I was never a student there, but acted like I was, and it got to the point the security guards would chat to me on patrols, and open the barrier for me (I was driving) without stopping me because they got to know me. But I digress...

It's amazing what you can get away with if you simply act like you belong somewhere (and are a cocky gobshite like me!)

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon