Reply to post: Re: @DavCrav

UK taxman told to chill out 'cos loan charge is whacking tax dodgers and whoopsies alike

LucreLout

Re: @DavCrav

Bollocks. EBTs were the subject of loophole legislation since at least 2010. It's just that the legal rulings and multiple appeals have taken this long. So HMRC have been saying 'this is tax fraud' for at least eight years of that decade. Now there are legal judgments that say 'yes, it is tax fraud'. Pay up.

DavCrav and I agree on little, most especially when it comes to matters of tax. I'm perfectly peachy with tax avoidance (not evasion), whereas I suspect DavCrav is less at the "all is well" end of the spectrum of avoidance. However, on this we actually agree. These schemes, no matter who used them, were transaprently obviously about evading tax and those now caught should rightly be paying the bill and the penalties.

No IT contractor should be hiding behind the sick and the lame on this one. Get out front and centre and accept that you tried to evade tax and got caught. Man up, as the phrase goes. You're not some minimum wage imbecile who didn't know what they were signing, you were well aware and perfectly capable of finding out, that these schemes were not avoiding anything, they were evading it.

Again, no legitimate tax pro would have been pushing an EBT for someone whose primary income derived fromt he UK while they were ordinarily resident here. Footballers & movie stars who make image rights internationally etc, yes, maybe. But not someone working a normal job.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon