Reply to post: Re: Time for a firmware update?

Tesla autopilot saves driver after he fell asleep at wheel on the freeway

Anonymous Coward
Anonymous Coward

Re: Time for a firmware update?

> (For readers who aren't used to freeways, they just drive on the M6 or something like that, then there's nothing close to the level of confusion and general intellectual mayhem that passes for US road signage in the UK -- motorway signs are clear and easy to read, the roads are comparatively well lit and people don't space junctions so you have to swerve over umpteen lanes of traffic for a ramp that's a mere half mile or less from the previous one.)

<

Eh, no. Its just different. Different history. Its a bit like saying that streets in London are a brain dead stupid bloody mess because they are are not built on a gridiron pattern like in most of LA. Its not like the first streets in London were not on a gridiron. Which the locals then promptly utterly screwed up over the next 1800 years.

The highway system in California has a very well worked out logic of its own, given the constraints the various parts were built under. At various times. The only problems I've had in the past were non matching on ramps / off ramps. And thats about it. The fact that the transition from the Hollywood Freeway to the Ventura Freeway North involves crossing almost a dozen lanes in just over a mile is just one of those physical facts of life of road engineering. All well signposted. If you know were and when to look. But there again I learned my big city driving skills in LA 30 plus years ago in a car that made a Lada look like a hotrod. A good way to learn to drive like a local.

The UK motorways are OK signage wise but the French do it better. Best traffic engineering I've seen anywhere.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon