Reply to post: Raid?

Giraffe hacks printers worldwide to promote God-awful YouTuber. Did we read that one right?

Twanky
Alert

Raid?

I read this article earlier today when there were fewer comments - I can't be bothered to read the rest of the comments on this article so if someone else has already made these points then please feel free to express your outrage in the usual manner.

Thing 1: I don't follow anyone on 'social media' - or for that matter on mainstream media. At least not that I can think of immediately. So, I know next to nothing about PewDiePie and his output and I'm reluctant to change that. IMO some people seem to be 'celebrities' for the oddest reasons.

Thing 2: Once upon a time I registered with El Reg because I wanted to comment on an article or someone else's comment. I don't intend to research what it was. The point is: something touched a nerve and I signed up to be able to comment. PewDiePie's supporters (and for all I know some detractors) have done the same. I really don't mind, everyone has to start somewhere.

Thing 3: I only watch cat (and dog) videos on YouTube that manage to get past a very effective filter. If SWMBO tells me I 'have to see this' then it's usually quite funny.

Thing 4: I understand that people who are fans of the most popular talent on YouTube don't want to be relegated to be fans of the second most popular talent on YouTube. That said, all they have to do is change the definition of 'most popular' or 'talent' and they can claim pretty much anything they like. I do get it that there's serious advertising money involved.

Thing 5: Don't tell me I'm old or call be Grandad. I know I'm older then some and not as old as others. I'm not so old that I don't remember being young - sometimes with embarrassment. I'm so old that whenever I read something about PewDiePie I imagine a small canary with an annoying voice (memo to self: must not laugh at people with speech impediments - especially if they hate cats). Only my grandchildren may call me Grandad. They think I'm very old.

Thing 6: IMO the main point of the article is about insecure systems which allow total strangers to print on your printers (and probably worse). In terms of security lessons learned it might have been better if the miscreant had printed a few thousand pages with something like 'This page intentionally left blank' - but then he might not have got any new subscribers for his hero.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon