Reply to post: Re: Also in this build...

Why is my Windows 10 preview build ticking? Microsoft reminds users that previews have timebombs

Carl D

Re: Also in this build...

As I think I've mentioned once or twice before...

... to avoid the installation of Candy Crush, March of Empires, Bubble Witch 3, Disney's Magic Kingdoms etc. make sure your computer is NOT connected to the Internet when installing Windows 10.

And, no matter how many times W10 insists on having an Internet connection during the install (once for W10 Home and TWICE for W10 Professional that I've counted so far) just refuse, wait and stay disconnected from the Internet until the install has finished.

I also turn off and remove all the flipping and flashing tiles which I have no use for, install all of the necessary drivers (from the manufacturers' websites) and adjust all of my privacy settings, etc. before connecting to the Internet.

Of course, disconnecting from the Internet isn't possible if you're doing, say, an 1803 to 1809 upgrade through Windows Update but what I would do in that case is download the new 1809 ISO and put it on a thumb drive or DVD and upgrade from that (with the computer disconnected from the Internet, of course).

Oh, and a "heads up" about a new sneaky trick in W10 1809 Home Edition after a clean install - the option to turn off "Allow downloads from other PC's" in Windows Update is 'greyed out' and not able to be turned off UNTIL you check for Windows Update for the first time. As soon as Windows finds and starts downloading updates the option to switch off "Allow downloads from other PC's" 'magically' becomes available.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon