Reply to post: Re: It'll make a mint 'cos all people want is knock offs of well known styles

Forget DeepFakes. This robo-Rembrandt with AI for brains is not bad at knocking off paintings

MonkeyCee Silver badge

Re: It'll make a mint 'cos all people want is knock offs of well known styles

"'Cause in general the Art Market is run by the same aholes that run"

It's actually far worse than that. Music has it's own issues, but fine art is essentially a tax scam.

Certain works are "valued" at large amounts. Only a few of these actually need to change hands, as long as the market is well controlled. hence the preference for dead artists, no fresh material coming out :)

Once a piece has a certain value, it can then be donated to a museum or gallery and the donation used to offset taxable income. Since the gallery doesn't actually pay the value, and the market is fixed, then the donation "value" may not be at all representative of the real world value.

So if I said "This urinal is worth 500k, because it is ART, and now I donate it to the V+A. I'd like to not pay any tax this year thanks" it's clearly fraud. But put a couple more people in the process, then it's all good.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Biting the hand that feeds IT © 1998–2019