Reply to post: Re: Dragonfly is just the start

Angry Googlers demand bosses pull the wings off 'Dragonfly' censored Chinese search engine

Voland's right hand Silver badge

Re: Dragonfly is just the start

But China, Turkey or Russia - I baulk at the thought that anyone would choose to use search engines that emerge from those countries

I have no issue with that. I am being realistic - China tat including one with software written in China is pretty much everywhere. Turkey engineering is good enough to build F16 under license and new long range cruise missiles for NATO. As far as Russian engineering, I have dealt with it for most of my life, its "priorities" maybe a bit strange at times, but there is nothing fundamentally wrong with it either. In any case, the software either one of these write is likely to be higher quality than the software written in a the usual hot and humid place Europe and USA outsources to.

The issue is elsewhere. Regulatory control over data, software, hardware and the product as a whole. Company governance requirement to the local subsidiaries. Legal compliance. And so on.

Judging by how successful we are in applying this to Chinese tat and companies, that will be hurdle we will fall over to start over with. By the way - the same applies to Google, F*ckbook and USA companies. No ifs, no buts, no coconuts. The law and the regulations are what they are - same for everyone.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon