Reply to post:

Boeing 737 pilots battled confused safety system that plunged aircraft to their deaths – black box

DropBear Silver badge

This is not the first crash I heard about that involved auto-anti-stall. I'm a bit fuzzy on the details, but it was a passenger plane (on a test flight? Not sure but I don't think there were any passengers in it...) that was supposed to do a low pass over an air show for the audience - except they were instructed to do it unusually low, failed to locate the airstrip involved in due time, botched the approach and embedded the plane in the forest at the end of the strip. An already shitty situation for sure, but the explicit reason preventing them to at least _try_ pulling up was, again, the automatic anti-stall overriding the pilots, ruling "nope, the trees it is for you!". Due to the circumstances there should even be some footage of it happening, possibly even on the net. Arguably, the plane may have crashed either way (well I guess we'll never know now will we), but at the very least the pilots should have had the decision about where to crash...

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Biting the hand that feeds IT © 1998–2019