Reply to post: Re: if an open source project had MAJOR flaw rates like this

It's November 2018, and Microsoft's super-secure Edge browser can be pwned eight different ways by a web page

JohnFen

Re: if an open source project had MAJOR flaw rates like this

"C-like languages seem to suffer from some problems more than others."

Naturally. The sorts of programming errors that are easy to make varies from language to language. My point, however, is that all programming languages make it easy to make errors. So, singling one out for making it easy to write code that has unexpected consequences is not supportable. They all do that.

"Some languages have attempted to avoid some of the pitfalls associated with C which is why I mentioned Rust."

Yes, but that's just shifting deck chairs. In other words, it's just shifting from one set of "most likely" issues to another.

I'm a graybeard and have been in this industry for a very long time. Different languages have different benefits and drawbacks, but I've yet to see one that is objectively superior to another in a broad sense. That's why it's important to choose the proper language for the task at hand -- you want to pick a language so that its benefits really help you in that task and the drawbacks don't hurt so much.

I know that it's fashionable to consider C-like languages as too dangerous to use, but that's always been and continues to be utter bullshit.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon