Reply to post: Re: Whisper it…

Oi, Elon: You Musk sort out your Autopilot! Tesla loyalists tell of code crashes, near-misses

defiler Silver badge

Re: Whisper it…

You're right. That's that out of the way! :)

What Tesla has done, though, is make electric cars acceptable. Every time the established manufacturers have tried to make one they've been unmitigated shit (G-Wiz). Or they've been leased and then snatched back when everyone liked them (EV-1).

The customers didn't want electric cars because the manufacturers said they couldn't be cool.

"Hold my beer" - Tesla Roadster

The customers didn't want electric cars because the manufacturers said they couldn't be comfy.

"Hold my beer" - Tesla Model S

The customers didn't want electric cars because the manufacturers said they couldn't have a long range.

"Hold my <burp> beer" - 400 miles

The customers didn't want electric cars because the manufacturers said they couldn't be fast.

"Hold my bu... Hang on - Beer. Yeah." - Ludicrous Speed

Sure, some of these are trinkets, but it's attacking peoples' concerns head-on. Model X is a bit of a pig, in my opinion, and they overcomplicated the doors. That said, the pop-out door handles on the S were done better by Aston Martin - just a pivot. But beyond that, Tesla have shown that an electric car *can* be as good as a petrol car.

Sure there are fringe cases where people need to cover 800 miles a day. There are people who work away from roads, away from charging points, and who really need a Land Rover to get around. But the thing that Tesla have done is show that these are the edges of the bell-curve now.

They've burned through a lot of money doing it, and I don't know if that's sustainable, but at the very least they've given the existing car manufacturers a big wake-up. Now there are electric cars parked in my street. Without Tesla I sincerely doubt I'd see that. I wish them luck. But I still wouldn't want to trust their Autopilot to drive me around.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Biting the hand that feeds IT © 1998–2019