Reply to post:

Between you, me and that dodgy-looking USB: A little bit of paranoia never hurt anyone

Anonymous Coward
Anonymous Coward

I've actually worked at a security related company where you got a miniature USB stick as "present" during the family days. Probably meant to get you trained in accepting gifts such as that. They also sported encrypted USB sticks where you needed to install a program (McAfee shit) to decrypt it. The only problem: none of my peers wanted to click the executable ('d Oh), if I was even inclined to ask them. I would actually be embarrassed and slightly awed by the trust put in me if they would click the executable. Fortunately the computers in the office did not accept just any USB stick (but a stick mimicking a input device could still do the trick for most of those security solutions).

The security officer nicely wore the lanyard with the company logo on it. It fitted nicely with the access card from which the company name was deliberately missing. Of course the USB stick also had the logo, in case somebody finding the stick on the street would not have another look at the contents.

You cannot make things like that up (which could not be said from the passwords they used).

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon