Reply to post: Re: Jenkins?

How one programmer's efforts to stop checking in buggy code changed the DevOps world

bombastic bob Silver badge
Devil

Re: Jenkins?

who hasn't, at one time in his career, written buggy code and then checked it into source control [or committed to production] and then later on had some disaster come about that's "totally YOUR fault" and had to either come in after hours or have everyone breathing down your neck while you fix it...

I only really did that once, an oversight in a late afternoon transaction processing batch job that locked up the database for 20 minutes, causing angry accountants to complain about not being able to do their job, etc.. Yeah, I was USUALLY careful, except that ONE time. Oops. Heh. [and my supervisor scanned over my code before I ran it, too]

I've never actually used Jenkins, but it's beginning to sound a lot like something I'd want to avoid if I were not trying to manage a very very large project written mostly by junior coders. People at my level are usually the ones who HAVE to Q.A. their own work, because there's nobody above you who's capable of it. So in a 'Linus'-like position, you think in those terms all of the time. But the people below you who are part of a managed sub-project, they might not know enough about "the whole system" to make those assessments, and so yeah, some kind of management tool exists.

And so I suppose I should have a close look at Jenkins, in case I'm in "that position" again, not just self-managing some ginormous project that, when done by 1 person, doesn't have "that kind of problem".

(The one-man-band consulting gig works great when you are "the guy" making the prototype and initial production run, gets it all done faster and at lower cost, before the feature creep and one-size-fits-all marketing-driven development begins - that latter part requires a bureaucracy - heh)

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

SUBSCRIBE TO OUR WEEKLY TECH NEWSLETTER

Biting the hand that feeds IT © 1998–2019