Reply to post: Red Queens Race

SMBs: We don't want to spoil all of this article, but have you patched, taken away admin rights, made backups yet?

vtcodger Silver badge

Red Queens Race

but I doubt things can really be a lot more simpler than they now are.

Well, one could simply unplug the cable connecting their computers to their ISP, fill the port the cable plugs into with quick setting epoxy, and go back to using paper and voice lines for communicating with banks and such. That's old fashioned and quite unstylish as well as genuinely impossible for many businesses. But where it is feasible it dramatically shrinks the attack surface, moots concerns about OS vendor spying, and obviates the need for and risks of dealing with continual questionably well tested OS updates.

The problem as I perceive it is that Computer security for the past two decades has been a Red Queen's race. Run as fast as you can just to stay even. Participating in a red queens race generally is a poor idea if one can opt to sit back and watch. I see no sign that any real progress is being made. If anything, things seem to be getting worse although that might be an artifact of recent laws requiring disclosure of computer breaches in a timely manner.

When (if) things actually look up, it'll be easy enough to harden your system then rejoin the connected world. If you choose to. And note the order. It's important. Harden first. Then connect.

I await the inevitable flood of downvotes. I would point out to the downvoters that if you folks knew what you were talking about, we probably wouldn't be having this discussion.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon