Reply to post:

Woke Linus Torvalds rolls his first 4.20, mulls Linux 5.0 effort for 2019

rg287

We all know the naughty words by now, I find it more impressive if someone gets bullocked without a single swear word being used.

I've spent some time as a high-level amateur athlete and been fortunate to travel to some international comps. At most events, the majority of the officials are from the host country, but with a few international officials flown in to bring expertise - any given country usually only has a couple of officials qualified Class-A so you bring a few in from other countries to share experience, maintain consistency and standards on the jury and teach the local Class-C/B officials as they develop their skills on their way to (one day) getting their Class-A licence. You might also fly in a few Class B/Cs in from other countries to build their international experience.

The most terrifying thing I've ever seen was a British Class-A (who has officiated over two Olympic finals) dressing down a local Class-C official who had fucked up to the point that an athlete's scores could have been invalidated.

I have no idea what he said to this official because he didn't raise his voice. He didn't get angry, shouty or sweary. He just stood there with a disappointed look, speaking to them very calmly - but you could see their face falling and their shoulders slumping as he want on. When they parted, they knew exactly what they had done wrong and were unlikely to repeat the mistake having been significantly chastened. I knew on that day I never wanted to get on his wrong side.

There's also a hard core of athletes who push the limit and interpretation of the rules. When this particular Official is on the Jury, even the ring-leaders all button the fuck up and behave themselves. It's quite impressive to watch.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon