Reply to post: long lived phones

Wow. Apple's only gone and killed off Mac, iPad, iPhone family... figures for units sold to fans

Anonymous Coward
Anonymous Coward

long lived phones

Numbers may be down as the market is saturated, a lot of iPhone users now are not huge apple fans and don't align themselves with the latest products, we just want a phone that works and is supported with patches and software updates for the life of the phone.

I don't have a bleeding edge iPhone having moved across to an iPhone 7 last year but I do intend to keep it for 4 years. The next phone upgrade will be when my wife replaces her iPhone 6 in a years time, she will have had it for 4 by then.

I've done Android and am heartily sick of the lack of updates, I did root a phone and installed a custom rom so I could keep a maintained OS but that meant several apps I wanted to use would not work. I seemed to have to fix issues with google services every few months. I even resorted to windows mobile for 18 months with a nice lumia handset. The key issue there were lack of apps and difficulties getting it repaired after a broken screen.. I ended up having to get it repaired via my insurance company and it came back with the wrong build on it and of course I had to resolve that. In the end having watched the rest of the family just use their phones rather than spending time regularly rebuilding them I just gave up and moved to an iphone.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon