Reply to post: Re: I'm not a fan of Virgin...

If you have inner peace, it's probably 'cos your broadband works: Zen Internet least whinged-about Brit ISP – survey

swampdog

Re: I'm not a fan of Virgin...

The rpi3B+ purports to be 300Mb and I can't really test mine as it's running off an NFS mount but running iftop on it whilst transferring a 1G /dev/urandom file to a PC saw the total approx 250Mb.

However, I'm using an old rpi1 (100Mb) as NAT/firewall and it can only get 35Mb down(*) and 5Mb up from my supposedly (70 or 100Mb) VM connection - I forget what the last "free" upgrade was - so I've been in no hurry to update that rpi. The inbuilt ethernet is connected to the VM hub (in modem mode) and the intranet is sat behind it..

$ lsusb | grep -i eth

Bus 001 Device 004: ID 0b95:772a ASIX Electronics Corp. AX88772A Fast Ethernet

..which all adds up to be good enough for the wench to play her MMO or for both of us to be steaming video simultaneously.

Another internal rpi3 does NTP/DHCP/DNS (preferring 8.8.8.8/4.4.4.4 before 194.168.4.100/194.168.8.100) because both those are shite so it helps to not have to resolve more than once. The wireless routers have most stuff turned off, MAC address filtering enabled(**) and just point at this rpi3.

(*) Across both ethernet that probably adds up.

(**) I have enough bother having to leave sshd open on the rpi1 without worrying about VM superhub wireless!

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Biting the hand that feeds IT © 1998–2019