Reply to post: No, Apple is simply feeding the cash cow

Apple's launch confirms one thing: It's determined to kill off the laptop for iPads

DerekCurrie
WTF?

No, Apple is simply feeding the cash cow

Apple has indeed suffered for years now from what I call Mac malaise. Watching the VP of Mac hardware speak, I got one clue of why that's the case. There are no doubt dozens of others. That this presentation did no include a new Mac Pro is outright abominable. Mac neglect remains profound at Apple. But it's just neglect. There is not-a-sign of Apple being determined to kill off their laptops. Not a one. From my perspective, I can't even consider this article an opinion piece. To have an opinion requires some modicum of indication that the opinion might possibly be realistic. This one is not.

So let's get back on track. Apple has severely neglected the Mac. The arrival of macOS 10.14 Mojave has saved their butts regarding the Mac operating system. 10.13 High Sierra was a half-assed mess that was only squeezed out, IMHO, for the sake of meeting a time deadline. It is best forgotten and never used. The prime reason why was that the new APFS file system wasn't finished, wasn't fully documented for developers, bringing suffering and hardship upon its high end users. High Sierra was shameful. Mojave finishes APFS at long bloody last. It literally took Apple 10 full years to finish the thing, The first beta of this son-of-ZFS project was in 2008.

IOW: The Mac, and most especially MacBook laptops, are here to stay. No hard core professional considers the iPad Pro to be remotely a replacement. Neither does Apple. However, Apple requires some severe slapping for the shame they've brought upon the Mac in recent years. At least the new MB Air and Mini are signs of repentance and revival.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon