Reply to post: Hc Sunt Dracones (AND Windows)

Mac users burned after Nuance drops Dragon speech to text software

stuartnz

Hc Sunt Dracones (AND Windows)

As a user of DNS on Windows for more than 10 years, and one who depends on it more and more, I can really empathise with his story. DNS is the reason I gave up trying to migrate to Linux, there was simply nothing that came close. And each release of DNS has got better and better. The reflexive "ditch Windows, it sucks" attitude of the initial comment here is to be expected from the El Reg crowd, but it betrays utter ignorance of how good DNS is, and how important is BECAUSE it's so good.

I've had Win10 installed for more than 2 years now and have not ONCE needed "to repair their systems themselves or pay constantly to have someone fix it. The constant updates *will* break something that is mission critical for you" Not for me it hasn't, And my PC is "mission critical" because I work from home and would be stuck without a working PC.

"I don't care HOW good DNS on Windows claims to be, it'll never hold a candle to the level of productivity you enjoy on a Mac" is, quite frankly, a STUPID thing to say to anyone who actually DEPENDS on DNS. If you need DNS, as Colin does, and as I increasingly do, your "level of productivity" will dive without it - whatever your OS. When you need it, you need it, and that's what makes Nuance's decision so devastating to its Apple user base, regardless of whose fault it is.

I know that "Windows is 100% crap" is the orthodoxy here, as so ably preached by the first poster, and so I know that all disciples of that cult will downvote me for daring to be so heretical as to offer a contrary POV - even though it is one solidly based on actual real world experience and deep familiarity with the very software being discussed. So be it - "what say they? Let them say!"

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon