Reply to post: Colin, you have my empathy & sympathy.

Mac users burned after Nuance drops Dragon speech to text software

Shadow Systems

Colin, you have my empathy & sympathy.

I very strongly suggest that you stick to Apple for as long as possible. Win10 is *NOT* for anyone that can't either repair their systems themselves or pay constantly to have someone fix it. The constant updates *will* break something that is mission critical for you & if you can't do the hurdle jumping to fix the MS fuster cluck, then you'll have to pay someone else to get you a working system once more. That will eventually leave you bankrupt so best not to even start down that slippery slope to hell.

Keep using DNS until the then current version of the OS won't run it any longer - it may not be secure or develope niggles that drive you bonkers, but it'll still be infinitely better than anything you might try on Windows. At least the Mac is inherently friendly to the disabled, the exact polar opposite of Windows. I don't care HOW good DNS on Windows claims to be, it'll never hold a candle to the level of productivity you enjoy on a Mac.

As my personal anectdote example, I use Jaws from Freedom Scientific. It's claimed to be The Best screen reader for Windows, but it is absolute *crap* compared to the mere five minute demo of Apple's built in (not bolt on) accessibility ability to do that same job natively. The ability of Jaws to read a PDF is just one example: you have to launch a 3rd party PDF reader, tell Jaws to OCR the screen, wait for it to finish, then Copy&Paste the results into an instance of Notepad so it can then be read aloud by the screen reader; even then you will have to manually mentally decipher the constant crap shoot that is thinking an i is a 1, an a is an o, that an o is a 0, vice versa ad nauseum infinitum. But the demo at the Apple store was find a PDF, click it to open it, & let the screen reader start reading. No 3rd party PDF viewer, no waiting for OCR, no need to C&P it elsewhere, just open it & let it get read. THAT kind of attention to detail means *nothing* you ever do on Windows will compare to what you can already do on your Mac.

Even if you have to figure out some way of running DNS in a VM on your Mac under a previous version of the OS, that would STILL be a better experience than Windows.

And all this, this entire plea/rant is from someone still stuck on Windows 7 whom has used a Mac for less than an hour total. Just the various demos at the Apple store. Just that little interaction is all the proof I need that you will *loathe with the fury of a trillion incandescent suns* your experience trying to do anything under Windows. Trust me. I'm the guy that made the comment how Windows sucks so hard it made black holes look like they were ejaculating. I know it's hyperbole, I know it's definitely over the top, but that "grain of truth" is large enough to gag a whale.

I'll buy you a virtual pint to commiserate, hoping like hell you stay with Mac until the heat death of the universe.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon