Reply to post: Apparently, I've won the Lottery

Sorry friends, I'm afraid I just can't quite afford the Bitcoin to stop that vid from leaking everywhere

ICPurvis47 Bronze badge
Facepalm

Apparently, I've won the Lottery

I have recently received an email from "maryecampbell@cox.net" with an attached PDF which reads as follows:

National Lottery Office

61-70 Southampton Row,

Bloomsbury

London

United Kingdom

WC1B 4AR.

Attention Dear Winner!

This Is to Inform you that Your E-mail ID have Won a Prize sum of (£)2,700,000.00 GBP) Two Million Seven Hundred Great British Pounds Starlings, a Window’s 10 Laptop from this Year Lottery Promotion Which Is Organized by the National Lottery and state-franchise national lottery in the United Kingdom.

We Collects the E-mail Addresses of the People That Are Active Online email user, among the People that has subscribed to Gmail, MSN, Windows/Yahoo and Web-mail, We Only Select 10 People as Our Winners through Electronic Balloting System without you applying.

Winner Verification Form:

Full Name..................

You’re Tel/fax Numbers..................

Your Nationality/country..................

You’re Contact Address/private Email Address.....................

Occupation/company............

Age/gender.........

Ever Won An Online Lottery? ............

E-Mail Details To: info.nationallotryhq@gmail.com

Await your Prompt responds.

As you can see, it contains at least fifteen spelling, punctuation, and grammatical errors, and what are 'Pounds Starlings'? I realise that making a few intentional spelling errors would cause anyone who is not themselves illiterate to delete it immediately, but surely, this takes the biscuit.

They are not consistent, three consecutive lines contain two different spellings of 'Your/You're', they give a return email address containing 'nationallotry', and they ask for my 'responds' instead of my response.

I cannot for the life of me see what they hope to achieve by this obvious scam attempt, please enlighten me.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Biting the hand that feeds IT © 1998–2019