Reply to post:

AI clinician trained to save humans from sepsis – and, er, let's just say you should stick to your human doctor

tiggity Silver badge

Diagnosis (early) is vital - I knew people who died due to sepsis being missed at an early stage & when it was diagnosed it was fatally late. As has been said, a lot of sepsis symptoms similar to other conditions, so if someone has e.g. coronary problems clinician may not recognise they also have sepsis, just assume its down to the recent heart issues

Good news is that I was reading about an improved bacteria testing tool which can identify most sepsis bacteria in 3 hours (compared to the current days) - though in cash strapped NHS, who knows if (when that tool becomes commercially available) it will be routinely used in cases where sepsis *may* be present due to cost.

UK sepsis stats really poor compared to many other European countries, probably not coincidence that sepsis easily missed in quick diagnosis decisions (which happens in understaffed, underfunded overworked NHS * a lot)

* caveat - obviosuly a lot of "managers" are not underpaid or overworked, I'm talking about those at the "sharp end" of patient care

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon