Reply to post: Re: Christian values straight from the source

SQLite creator crucified after code of conduct warns devs to love God, and not kill, commit adultery, steal, curse...

Anonymous Coward
Anonymous Coward

Re: Christian values straight from the source

You are entirely entitled to your view on the matter, but I disagree. What Christian values means to me is summed up in just two passages:

So in everything, do to others what you would have them do to you, for this sums up the Law and the Prophets. (Matthew 7:12)

And:

Jesus replied: “‘Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind.’ This is the first and greatest commandment. And the second is like it: ‘Love your neighbor as yourself.’ All the Law and the Prophets hang on these two commandments.” (Matthew 22:37-40)

As these are the words of Jesus himself I, personally, believe that they take precedence over anything else in the Bible.

Then again I'm also odd for Christian in that I believe the Bible itself is fundamentally flawed for having been written by humans, so rejecting obviously wrong passages presents no theological problem for me. To my mind Christ himself taught complete compassion and mercy and the extraordinary value of all human beings, so the Bible writers who exhibit anything else - including all of the passages you mentioned - must be mistaken.

And yes, I am completely aware of how contradictory it is to belong to a religion while rejecting the infallibility of its holy text. That's what comes of not being willing (or, really, able) to completely give up the religion and associated beliefs that are the foundation of a great many aspects of my life while still having enough analytical thought to realize that there is quite a lot in the Bible that doesn't line up with the core teachings of Christ.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Biting the hand that feeds IT © 1998–2019