Reply to post: Re: Still not what customers really want

Samsung's graphene batteries promise to charge five times faster – without exploding

jmch Silver badge
Happy

Re: Still not what customers really want

"Still not what customers really want"

"I'd take that in preference to... "

Based on sales of phones in the last few years, what customers really want is quite different from what you prefer!

Joking apart, if you want a phone to last 2 weeks on a charge, most dumbphones can do that if you're not chatting away all day, and even smartphones in ultra-power-saving mode (ie mostly acting as a dumbphone) can last around a week or so. Manufacturers have also been pushing thinner/lighter to the detriment of battery capacity, and savings made by lower-power-consuming chips are eaten up by the tons of apps that insist on running in the background.

Clear out the app cruft, allow a larger, heavier and slightly thicker phone, move to ultra-low-power 7nm chips, and maybe add an e-ink secondary screen for reading text* and maybe you could double or triple the current 1-2 day life to a bit less than a week, still quite a bit short of your target. Batteries are limited by energy density and there's only so much juice you can squeeze into a handheld-sized pack, and for most users it's clear that power-use trumps battery life considerations as long as they can get a day of full-whack mobile-ing.

And given how ubiquitous power points and compatible chargers are, I rather understand that.

* by the way whatever happened to that Russian dual-screen full colour + e-ink phone? I haven't seen any other manufacturer copy that so I guess it was a bust?

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon