Reply to post: Re: Deinstall parts of W10?

Microsoft points to a golden future where you can make Windows 10 your own

DropBear

Re: Deinstall parts of W10?

"I'm holding on to Win7 for now, but what's everyone else planning to do in Jan 2020? "

Nothing. Updates were of no concern to any windows computer I ever had so far, starting from DOS. Over two decades of absolutely zero problems caused by that, I think I can manage a little longer. Especially considering I'm in the process of moving over to Mint anyway - at least as soon as it remembers how to check for and notify about new mail that isn't Google's.

As for gaming - I'm not excluding that it might come to Win10 being unavoidable for that at some point. Being a stubborn but first and foremost practical person, if that ever happens I'll just install it onto what will never be more than an empty hardware shell as far as it is concerned. I'll encrypt all other partitions and Win10 will not get a key; it will never see a single email, document or picture of mine; and it will connect out through its own empty VLAN walled off from absolutely anything else I have on my LAN. But that's in the far future, maybe - the near one has no Win10 in any way shape or form in it for me.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon