Reply to post: Re: It’s not going to happen

Microsoft pulls plug on IPv6-only Wi-Fi network over borked VPN fears

Roland6 Silver badge

Re: It’s not going to happen

>That shouldn't be news to anyone.

Whilst I agree that MS (and others) should be applauded for attempting to trialing IPv6 only networks, to see what breaks and then telling everyone about it, I dsagree about this not being (tech) news.

I remember back in the late 80's and early 90's, government ITT's all included requirements around a vendors commitment to Open Systems and OSI. Naturally, we all responded positively about our commitment etc. however, not once was I cross-examined on just what this meant in practice. I suggest what we are seeing here is a company trying to put things into practice and discovering environmental gotchas...

I therefore suggest the lesson here is that if you are using a VPN solution, the time has now come when you need to get vendors to demonstrate their currently shipping products capabilities to support dynamic usage of IPv4, dual stack and pure play IPv6 (yes my dual stack client should be able to use a VPN product over whichever protocol stack is available to it, which will almost certainly vary between hotspots (eg. Office, Underground, Station Cafe, Train, .Home). I suspect that, prior to this news story, no one was actually testing the real-world IPv6 capabilities of VPN products...

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon