Reply to post: Re. Death by a thousand (budget) cuts

A basement of broken kit, zero budget – now get the team running

Anonymous Coward
Anonymous Coward

Re. Death by a thousand (budget) cuts

I have heard of poor companies who send their minions on eBay raids.

Old RAM sticks are actually *more* reliable than new sometimes, depending on what they came out of.

Also a lot of the time they can run at their rated clock speed whereas newer ones auto-negotiate to whatever the speed of the CPU/BIOS/uEFI default which can result in issues.

Also relevant: many old laptops have socketed CPUs so can be upgraded if you have enough of them and a little assembly line of PFY's taking them apart with military precision and then running the final soak test en masse with a CPU fan clean/replacement included via drawing lots.

(note: with mine I needed to reflash the BIOS but this was a 2 minute job)

Batteries can be reconditioned with the right procedure and I make extensive use of BatteryInfoView (tm) and similar tools for a quick go/no go test.

The really rubbish one(s) get given away to folks as an alternative to being mains tethered with the advice to be really careful with backups, sometimes they last a few months to a year.

Used but tested SSDs are normally OK for many applications and everything gets backed up to encrypted SD card with a boot alert if it gets taken out.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon