Reply to post: Re: Openreach

Milton Keynes: Come for roundabouts, stay for near-gigabit broadband

Roland6 Silver badge

Re: Openreach

@Pen-y-gors - Call me an old Luddite, but I do wonder whether the world will be a substantially better place if we can sit at home watching Loose Women in 8K at 120fps.

Don't disagree, as I see little real need for 4K residential streaming. I was just pointing out that 8K streaming is significantly more bandwidth hungry than 4K, and that some vendors are working to bring to market 8K kit in the next few years, hence streaming (tv/film) services that require more than 100Mbps might be closer than we think. So experience tells me to be wary of saying "640K is enough", and, given the longevity of 100Mbps networking, of suggesting that we should be rushing into deploying 1Gbps and greater services into the residential/consumer market.

And, deep down, (and this is my Puritan streak showing) do we really need to be spending hours in front of an idiot-box

Since my son and his friends discovered the Xbox and online multiplayer games, my TV time has dramatically decreased; this might also have someting to do with only having one big screen 'tv' in the house...

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon