Reply to post: Re: Eff off Apple - Extra glue and price have worked really well for Apple.

The grand-plus iPhone is the new normal – this is no place for paupers

Updraft102

Re: Eff off Apple - Extra glue and price have worked really well for Apple.

I was told off recently by a cabinet maker for calling "glue". He says glue is what you make from inedible bits of horses. What Apple use is adhesive.

It's just like the car fanatics who bristle when someone calls the thing in the car that makes it move a "motor". "A motor is powered by electricity," they say.

As a motorist, I get in my product of General Motors and motor down the motorway, being careful to follow the Motor Vehicle Code, down to the place to have my motor oil changed, and then on to the Department of Motor Vehicles to renew my motor vehicle registration. A lot of people didn't consult the car guy before naming a lot of stuff!

An internal combustion engine is a type of motor, but not all motors are internal combustion engines. Mo- refers to motion or movement, -tor refers to a device that causes something. Since car engines cause movement, they're motors.

Similarly, "glue" is another word for an adhesive, generally applied in a liquid or semiliquid form. Super glue is cyanoacrylate adhesive, and is completely synthetic. Gorilla Glue is a polyurethane product, also containing no animal bits. Elmer's School Glue, too, is free of animal by-products. Then there's the hot-melt glue... you get the picture.

It makes no more sense to say that glue only refers to congealed animal tallows when used as an adhesive than it would to say that the stuff books are made of is not paper, since paper is the stuff made from papyrus plant stems cut into sheets and dried. It may have been the first form, but not the only one.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon