Reply to post:

Apple in XS new sensation: Latest iPhone carries XS-sive price tag

ckdizz

Woah everyone. I understand that sentence wasn't properly claused there, my bad - I don't check texts or emails while I'm driving. :) Thinking about it, if I didn't care about having my eyes on the road and my hands on the wheel, I probably wouldn't be bothered with having to hold the phone up and use FaceID.

But I do use the phone for maps, traffic alerts, music, radio when I go out of antenna range, etc. I can make and receive calls via the steering wheel, and move between songs, but that's it. Most things Siri tells me I need to unlock my phone for - or the worst one, when she tells me I can't ask about traffic alerts while I'm driving so I have to unlock the phone and check manually (this is me, asking Siri to tell me about traffic on SH1 and she tells me she can't do that while I'm driving). Right now with the iPhone 7, I can just lean over and do that stuff like I would on the car stereo's LCD. With the iPhone X, that was impossible - I'm having to enter in my passcode instead. It went back because that wasn't a safe situation.

The text and email thing - that's me walking down the street and losing the ability to discreetly pull the phone out of my pocket to check text and emails. I turned off screen lock screen previews for those for privacy reasons. iPhone 7, I can pull it out and press TouchID; iPhone X, I have to pull it out of my pocket and hold it up to my face.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon