Reply to post: Communications company...

A boss pinching pennies may have cost his firm many, many pounds

Anonymous Coward
Anonymous Coward

Communications company...

... with offices across the UK decides to roll out an Exchange network. I know nothing of Exchange so the basic setup is done for me. I start it up then setup mail accounts on it but notice 3 trivial things missing

No UPS

No antivirus

No DLT to back up to.

We couldn’t have these because they were too expensive.

I went to see the commas director to get an idea of how small I could make the mailboxes. He said he didn’t want the mailbox size limiting as all the staff were adults and could manage mailbox sizes themselves. Nothing would change his mind.

The first thing to happen was my Exchange got a virus and chugged it out to all the other Exchanges. The management then agreed all Exchanges could have AV, and we were to try one out on a 3 month trial. When the software trial ran out of days I was instructed to remove it and reinstall it. I had to do this several times before they dug deep and bought a decent AV, which must have been an aberration on their part.

We eventually got the DLT and UPS, but what got them in the end was no-one deleted anything in their mailbox and it filled the information store. The only way to get access to all the mail was to upgrade to the Enterprise edition at some hideous expense, plus the downtime.

Odd that we couldn’t afford it as the company owner had a personal fortune of £60m at the time.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon