Reply to post:

European nations told to sort out 'digital tax' on tech giants by end of year

Peter2 Silver badge

The problem is that a minority of businesses are making profits, and then not paying a not unreasonable 20% tax on their profit before transferring the remaining 80% abroad.

Your suggestion to obtain more money from these businesses who are not paying that 20% is to lower the tax on having an office or other physical business space which they can't avoid, and then switch to taxing via VAT, which is currently being evaded by these companies in the EU by "paying" the VAT in ireland at a rate of 0% on exports. Your suggestion actually appears to be "don't tax multinational companies".

I can't see who benefits from this other than the heads of the multinationals.

Why do you need to post that as an Anonymous Coward, by the way?

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

  • Enter your comment

  • Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Biting the hand that feeds IT © 1998–2019