Reply to post: DNS over layers of bloat

No D'oh! DNS-over-HTTPS passes Mozilla performance test

Nick Kew
Devil

DNS over layers of bloat

This is horrible bloat.

Like the bloatware on PCs, that has forced continual upgrades of RAM/etc? Well, up to a point.

But then, if you still have a 30-year-old PC with a 286 processor and half a meg of RAM, you can still run old apps on it. A perfectly good word processor and home/small biz spreadsheet. Email and most of the useful parts of the web - so long as you cut down on the fluff.

Whereas if you're on a net of even just half that age - the information dirt-track - you're going to be struggling. You really need the efficiency designed into the early 'net, not today's money-and-resources-no-object bloat.

Do we know how many people will be locked out in practice if we foist DNS-over-HTTP (let alone HTTPS) on them? I think not: they're the invisible excluded.

I remember my time on the information dirt track. I was effectively locked out of more online resources in 1998 than in 1988, because of the bloat that started with the modern Web in the mid-90s. It won't be me this time, but others out there will suffer.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon