Reply to post: Basic PFY duties

Abracadabra! Tales of unexpected sysadmagic and dabbling in dark arts

Anonymous Coward
Anonymous Coward

Basic PFY duties

Back in the day I was the non-existent head of the non-existent IT department at a local university. A lot of researchers got some (rather old by the time they arrived) Gateway workstations, equipped with all the non-standard-in-a-third-world-country bells & whistles, such as tape readers and SCSI disks. I'm talking '94-'95 here, and those darn SCSI disks and controller cards were darn expensive and hard to source down here. As the non-existent head of the non-existent IT department, I was granted possession of two PFYs a year, who would be rewarded with an internship pay, reduced working hours, and a crash course on everything from Linux server administration to spam filtering, proxy filtering, web/mail server administration and so on. One of my main selection criteria was they should be more adept to chatting nonsense to people than me, in order to distract the researchers when I applied percussive maintenance to the workstation cabinets to get those fricking Gateway branded SCSIS disks spinning.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon