Reply to post: Re: Silly season...

Intel rips up microcode security fix license that banned benchmarking

doublelayer Silver badge

Re: Silly season...

If you're suggesting that we just ignore the problems, that's not likely. Sure, many of these vvulnerabilities aren't important (now) for our personal machines, but a lot of us, myself included, have virtual machines on a system that probably has some more ones. If there exists something that lets another VM user read or write data from mine, that's not a good thing for me. No matter that my VMs aren't doing something extremely secure, I don't really want others trying to break in.

Note here that I have made some trade-offs in doing this; my VM provider could do a lot of nefarious things if they were so inclined. I have taken that risk and chosen to trust them as a result of my paying them for the service. I am willing to trust that they will not alter my system or extract information, but I don't extend that trust to other users I do not know. The same would be true of each security vulnerability. We don't expect complete security, but we did expect a reasonable level of it. We are justified in being irritated with intel for repeatedly failing to make their processors secure.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon