Reply to post: Patchy McPatchface

Everyone screams patch ASAP – but it takes most organizations a month to update their networks

Anonymous Coward
Childcatcher

Patchy McPatchface

I am a dyed in the wool sysadmin that owns my own company (MD). I only have around 10 Windows and 20 odd Linux servers to worry about on a VMware cluster with a slack handful of SANs, switches etc and pfSense routers.

I can't manage to patch that lot to Cyber Essentials standard all the time because CE mandates patches applied within two weeks of release. That's a laudable aim and one to work towards but the real world has a nasty habit of intruding.

For example, recently (last two months) Mr MS unfortunately released a right old bugger's muddle of updates that broke Exchange a bit (ooh me Transport Service has died) and broke older and weirder SharePoints, and screwed Azure Sync (and the rest). I have also had RDP die on 2008R2 servers until I fix certificate perms and even which one to use. I really picked the wrong time to start restricting schannel stuff and enable other MS patches via registry keys.

I *am* the pointy haired boss and have absolute power (until my office manager kicks me into touch) and know what I am doing. I'm CREST accredited and can throw together a Gentoo box without bothering with docs. There are not enough hours in the day to patch things anymore.

I have a few customers to worry about and a few PCs as well

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon