Reply to post: At RatFox...

That's the way the cookies crumble: Consent banners up 16% since GDPR

Shadow Systems

At RatFox...

I am aware that desktop users have a different web experience than smartphone users, so my comment only applies to the desktop.

I've got my browser configured to reject all third party cookies out of hand. Do not ask, do not allow, they can fuck right off. Even first party cookie requests must be allowed on a case by case basis, & 99% of the time I refuse those as well. About the only time I let a site set one is if I'm going to register an account there, especially if I'm intending on buying something. Those I allow because I want them to remember my account settings. Everyone else can get bent.

I also have my browser set to ignore pop ups, so any attempt by a site to drop a pop up in my face to whine about a cookie policy never gets shown at all. There's a soft chime in the background letting me know a pop up was blocked, but it doesn't even change focus from what I'm doing at the time.

All this means is that sites don't get to annoy me with pop ups whining to let them set a cookie, their third party affiliates don't get to set cookies, & they have to use other, less honest methods by which to track me.

I have to take your word on the pop ups appearing everywhere, but I can confirm that they have started to embed such notices *without* using pop ups to display them. I don't hit ok, I don't click deny, I don't interact with the notices at all. I just keep reading the page to find what I came for, then leave without ever letting them get an answer at all. Some of them try to stop me from accessing the site until/unless I click the notice, but then I get around THAT by hitting up DuckDuckGo for a plain text cache of the site & skip all their crap.

Are smartphone browsers so lacking in user options that you can't turn off JavaScript, third party cookies, & crank up the security to "Fuck off!" levels of paranoia?

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon