Reply to post: Re: It is also wifi

Google risks mega-fine in EU over location 'stalking'

I ain't Spartacus Gold badge

Re: It is also wifi

I've not used Android in a few years now, but I'm sure there's another breach in the design unless they've changed it. It used to be that if you turned off location services except when Google Maps was running, then Google would disable aGPS.

I guess you could argue that them being unable to slurp your data to build that global WiFi SSID database should mean you don't get to share in the benefits - but I'm pretty sure that the GDPR doesn't allow you to do that trick with disabling services if you don't give consent.

You're allowed to refuse to deal with people if you won't give up neccessary data, but that's using the provision of gathering required data to run a service. If you use consent, you're specifically not allowed to refuse some services if consent is not given - you're supposed to use a different justification to gather the data, if that's the case.

But I'm so out of date on Android, this could now be irrelevant. Also it sounds like they've made the location data controls a lot more complicated since the last time I was using it.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon