Reply to post: Re: Prepare for...

Top Euro court: No, you can't steal images from other websites (too bad a school had to be sued to confirm this little fact)

MachDiamond Silver badge

Re: Prepare for...

"Another question would be if the kid would have even been allowed to enter into the license agreement with the copyright holder, which would depend on the kid's age...."

The kid's age would not be a factor. The agreement is not a contract but more akin to a sale. If I was asked by a kid if they could use an image of mine for a school report, I'd be more than happy to send them a £0 invoice with a simple license that let's them do so barring publication in a magazine outside of the school or resale of the photo(s).

There are lots of Copyright issues that are technically an infringement, but slide under the radar in practice. You can put your favorite songs in the background of your home movies, but if you post those movies on a site such as YouTube with no password, it can be an issue. In today's digital age, Copyright law should be taught to students and teachers from an early age. It's so easy to copy things now and will only become easier as time goes by that people should know what sorts of copying can get them in loads of trouble.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon