Reply to post:

UK taxman told: IR35 still isn't working in the public sector, and you want to take it private?

d3vy

You're right we don't pay NI (at least not as much), when I was perm I think my NI was about 3k (+ change) a year.

Now it's closer to 300, however I'm paying around 20k more in tax overall than I ever did as a permie...

And my net pay isn't that much more (some months when I'm feeling frugal it's less).

What people continue to realise is that for insurance and liability we have to work through limited companies, which means OUR DAY RATE IS NOT OUR MONEY, of my day rate I pay out 19% immediately on corporation tax (what's the basic rate for a permie?) Then when I take the money out of the company and it becomes mine I pay personal income tax on it again.

Admittedly, this still works out less % wise than I'd pay as a permie, but £ wise HMRC are getting much more from me.

If I lost the ability to control who I work for, when I work or where I work I'd go back to permie, my income wouldn't change much but HMRCs take of my money would go down.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon