Reply to post: Re: I'm not... However

Bank on it: It's either legal to port-scan someone without consent or it's not, fumes researcher

Camilla Smythe

Re: I'm not... However

If I thought about it and wanted to play nice then if my Bank wanted to scan my ports when I landed on their Login page then they can pop up a message saying something like.

For added security if you are a customer about to log in to your account we would like to perform an external port scan in order to check that your computer has not been compromised. If we find anything suspicious then we might not allow you to Log In and ask you to contact us.

Once you have Logged In we will perform an internal port scan to once again verify that your computer has not been compromised. If we find anything suspicious we may lock your account and ask you to contact us.

If you agree to this then please click Accept to log in. If you do not then please click Reject. You will be redirected to your Home Page.

Of course the above is not going to happen because if they get it wrong they have to accept liability for it.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon