Reply to post: Re: This is normal in every human endeavor.

Grad sends warning to manager: Be nice to our kit and it'll be nice to you

Rich 11 Silver badge

Re: This is normal in every human endeavor.

I once worked in a large office where the lights would go off if the movement sensors decided no-one was present, and on again once someone moved into range. Being the first in on most mornings I quickly learned where the boundaries were for the various lighting zones.

One day we were due to have a trainee start, and I found this kid waiting for me at Reception at 7.30am or whatever ungodly time it was (fair enough, better early than late). As I led him through the building I asked him about his (near total lack of) experience so I could work out where best to start him off. When I opened the door onto the darkened office I joked, "Anyway, technical knowledge isn't everything. Sometimes you just have to let the machines know who's boss", and as I walked across the first boundary I held both arms out wide and clicked my fingers (the lights came on), across the second boundary (click! - lights) and into the third zone (fiat lux!). I turned round and he was just standing there, gob wide open with eyes as large as saucers.

There are days when the universe realises it just owes you one.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Biting the hand that feeds IT © 1998–2019